Year of foundation: 1872
The Hungarian Wagner Foundation was established in 1872 as one of the first in the world by Ödön Mihalovich, Count Albert Apponyi and the conductor János Richter. Apart from promoting Wagner's music in Hungary, its main objective at that time was to render assistance to the construction of the Festspielhaus in Bayreuth by issuing construction coupons. Later on, it became the natural purpose of the Richard Wagner Society to cultivate, enhance familiarity with and deepen the knowledge of Wagner's music.
The Richard Wagner Society and Archive
The current Society, which was reestablished in 1990, serves the cause of classical music in Hungary by film presentations, talks describing operas and music dramas and discussing philosophy and music history, as well as by club meetings, visiting performance in Bayreuth, coach trips, concerts, chamber music events, song recitals, presentation of Wagner-related musical research, young stipend recipient's concerts, as well as the journal titled "Wagner Hírmondó" [Wagner Bulletin].
Every year, our Society is entitled provide young artists with stipends for visiting the Bayreuth Festival.
The Society organizes its events every 3-4 weeks from September to mid-June, generally on Sunday afternoons.
Our Society gratefully accepts any financial support, including 1% of the Personal Income Tax that may be awarded to non-profit organizations.. Our bank account number is as follows: 11707024-20428343